Toll Free : 1800 599 0007


Contributory parent visa (subclass 143)

About this Visa

This visa lets parents of a settled Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen live in Australia permanently.

You could apply for the Contributory Parent (Temporary) visa (subclass 173) before this visa. Applying for the temporary visa and then this permanent visa costs more but the costs are spread across the two visas over a longer period of time.

You could also apply for a Parent visa (subclass 103). The subclass 103 visa costs less than this visa but there can be long waiting times of up to 30 years.

What you can do

This visa lets you:

  • Stay in Australia indefinitely
  • Work and study in Australia
  • Enrol in Medicare, Australia’s scheme for health-related care and expenses
  • Sponsor eligible relatives for permanent residence
  • Travel to and from Australia for five years
  • Apply for Australian citizenship, if eligible

Eligibility – all eligibility​

Your child in Australia

Your child must be a settled Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen.​


You must be sponsored. Usually, this will be your child who must be:

  • 18 years old or older
  • A settled Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen.

A sponsor can sponsor more than one parent for this visa.

Sponsors have financial and other responsibilities.​

Assurance of Support

You must be able to obtain an Assurance of Support

Additional eligibility – if you do not hold a Contributory Parent (Temporary) visa (subclass 173)

Note: You do not have to meet these additional eligibility requirements if:

  • You currently hold a Contributory Parent (Temporary) visa (subclass 173)
  • Your Contributory Parent (Temporary) visa (subclass 173) ended in the 28 days immediately before you apply for this visa.
  • Your subclass 884 visa ended more than 28 days before you apply for this visa but you can show compassionate and compelling reasons to be considered to still hold the visa.​

Balance-of-family test

You must meet the balance-of-family test. This means that:

  • at least half of your children live permanently in Australia


  • More of your children live permanently in Australia than in any one other country.

Applicants may also needed to meet below requirements

Character requirements, Health requirements, Health insurance requirements, Must not have Debts to the Australian Government, biometric and other requirements if needed.

Your obligations

You and your family must comply with all visa conditions and Australian laws.

Source – Australian Immigration Website.

Contact Us

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Not readable? Change text. captcha txt