Training visa (subclass 407)
About this visa
This visa allows you to:
- Take part in workplace-based training to enhance your skills in your current occupation, area of tertiary study, field of expertise
- Participate in a professional development training programme in Australia.
This visa is not appropriate for persons whose sole intention is to work.
The Training visa (subclass 407) is for people who want to come to Australia on a temporary basis to participate in occupational training or professional development.
There are three types of occupational training (nomination eligibility types) covered by this visa:
- Workplace-based training required for registration
- Structured workplace-based training to enhance skills in an eligible occupation
- Training that promotes capacity building overseas, (this type includes the following categories:
- Overseas qualification
- Government support
- Professional development.
Note: Workplace-based occupational training (not including professional development) must be for at least 30 hours a week, of which no more than 30 per cent can be classroom-based.
Length of stay – Up to 2 years
What this visa lets you do
If you are outside Australia at time of grant
If you are in Australia at time of grant
Note: Part-time, classroom-based study that is unrelated to your occupational training may be permitted, provided it does not interfere with your occupational training programme. The unrelated classroom study cannot count towards any component of the training programme and should be listed in your visa application.
- Be nominated (unless your sponsor is a Commonwealth Government agency)
- Be invited (if your sponsor is a Commonwealth Government agency)
- Usually be at least 18 years of age
Functional English language
You must provide evidence that you have functional English language skills to undertake the training.
You might be asked to provide evidence that you can financially support yourself and your accompanying family members while in Australia.
While you are in Australia, you and your family must:
- Comply with Australian laws, including all the requirements and conditions of your visa
- Leave Australia before your granted period of stay ends and your visa expires
- Maintain adequate health insurance.
As an occupational trainee, you must:
- Participate fully in the occupational training or professional development programme you were nominated for (you cannot stop participating)
- Not do any work, other than in relation to your approved training programme
- Not become unemployed, leave your training to work for someone else, or work for someone else in a second job
- Not do any other activities that could affect your participation in the training programme
- Tell your sponsor if your personal circumstances change, such as if you cannot continue the training
- Tell your sponsor if you have any concerns about the training programme.
Applicants may also needed to meet below requirements
Character requirements, Health requirements, Health insurance requirements, Must not have Debts to the Australian Government, biometric and other requirements if needed.
You and your family must comply with all visa conditions and Australian laws.
Source – Australian Immigration Website.