Remaining Relative visa (subclass 835)
About this visa
This visa allows someone in Australia whose only near relatives are living in Australia to:
- Live in Australia as a permanent resident.
The Remaining Relative visa (subclass 835) is a permanent visa for people who want to live in Australia to be with their only near relatives.
What this visa lets you do
It allows you and your family to:
- Stay in Australia indefinitely as an Australian permanent resident
- Apply for Australian citizenship (if you are eligible)
- Travel to and from Australia as a permanent resident for five years from the date the visa is granted – after that time you will need to apply for another visa if you want to return to Australia.
You will not be able to sponsor any other relatives for a Remaining Relative visa.
Who could get this visa
You might be eligible for this visa if:
- Your (and your partner’s) only near relatives live in Australia
- An eligible near relative or their partner will sponsor you and all members of your family unit included as applicants in your application
- You have someone who will provide an assurance of support
- You and members of your family unit meet health and character requirements.
When you might not be eligible for this visa
You should not apply for this visa unless you believe you are likely to be successful, as the visa application charge you pay will not usually be refunded if you withdraw your application or it is refused.
Your sponsor must be your parent, brother, sister, stepbrother or stepsister or one of their partners. They must agree to give you support, accommodation and financial assistance for your first two years of residency in Australia. This agreement includes any members of the family unit included as applicants in your application.
Your sponsor must be 18 years of age or older and one of the following:
- An Australian citizen
- An Australian permanent resident
- An eligible New Zealand citizen. Your sponsor must be settled and usually resident in Australia.
How long your visa lasts
This is a permanent visa.
You can include the following people in your visa application at the time of lodgement:
- Your partner
- Your child/step-child or your partner’s child/step-child.
The application must include documentary evidence of their relationship to you. Members of your family unit must be able to show that they meet health and character requirements
Assurance of support
A person or organisation must give you an assurance of support. They can be your sponsor or another person. Up to three people can jointly provide an assurance of support for you.
An assurer must be prepared to provide a bank guarantee. This will involve the assurer depositing money with the bank to cover the value of the bank guarantee.
You and your family must comply with all Australian laws.
Who can sponsor a family member
You can sponsor a family member for this visa if you are their near relative. This means you are their brother, sister, stepbrother, stepsister or parent. Your partner can be the sponsor, provided you live together.
To be a sponsor, you must be:
- 18 years of age or older
- Settled and usually resident in Australia
- An Australian citizen, an Australian permanent resident, or an eligible New Zealand citizen
You must also agree in writing to provide support, accommodation and financial assistance for your relative and any accompanying family members for their first two years in Australia following grant of this visa.
When you might not be able to sponsor a family member
Neither you nor your partner can sponsor someone for this visa if:
- you have ever been granted or successfully sponsored someone for any of the following visas:
- the laws of the child’s home country permit the removal of the child
- Remaining Relative visa (subclass 115)
- Remaining Relative visa (subclass 835)
- Preferential Relative visa (subclass 104) (now closed to new applicants)
- Family visa (subclass 806) (now closed to new applicants).
Change of sponsor
Your relative can change their sponsor before we make a decision about their application. The new sponsor will have to lodge their own completed:
For two years after your relative(s) is granted this visa in Australia, you must continue to help them and their accompanying family members settle in Australia by providing (if necessary):
- Financial assistance.
Applicants may also needed to meet below requirements
Character requirements, Health requirements, Health insurance requirements, Must not have Debts to the Australian Government, biometric and other requirements if needed.
You and your family must comply with all visa conditions and Australian laws.
Source – Australian Immigration Website.