Remaining Relative visa (subclass 115)
About this visa
This visa allows someone outside Australia whose only near relatives are living in Australia to live in Australia as a permanent resident.
The Remaining Relative visa (subclass 115) is a permanent visa for people who want to live in Australia to be with their only near relatives.
Your application must be made outside Australia and you must be outside Australia when the visa is granted.
What you can do
This is a permanent visa. It allows you and your family to:
- Stay in Australia indefinitely as an Australian permanent resident
- Apply for Australian citizenship (if you are eligible)
- Travel to and from Australia as a permanent resident for five years from the date the visa is granted – after that time you will need to apply for another visa if you want to return to Australia.
You will not be able to sponsor any other relatives for a Remaining Relative visa.
Who could get this visa
You might be eligible for this visa if:
- Your (and your partner’s) only near relatives live in Australia
- An eligible near relative or their partner will sponsor you and all family members included as applicants in your application
- You have someone who will provide an assurance of support
- You and your family members meet health and character requirements.
You should not apply for this visa unless you believe you are likely to be successful, because the visa application charge will not usually be refunded if your application is refused or withdrawn.
Who is your near relative
Your near relative is your parent or your partner’s parent (including biological and step-parent), brother, sister, stepbrother or stepsister; child (including stepchild) who has turned 18 and is not a dependent child; or child (including stepchild) who has not yet turned 18 years of age and is not in your or your partner’s daily care and control.
Who is your sponsor
Your sponsor must be your parent, brother, sister, stepbrother or stepsister or one of their partners. They must agree to give you support, accommodation and financial assistance for your first two years of residency in Australia. This agreement includes any family members included as applicants in your application.
Your sponsor must be:
- 18 years of age or older; and
- Settled in Australia
- An Australian citizen
- An Australian permanent resident or
- An eligible New Zealand citizen.
When you might not be eligible for this visa
Do not apply for this visa if:
- You or your partner have any near relatives, who are usually living outside Australia, or are only living in Australia on a temporary visa, Bridging visa or unlawfully.
- Your sponsor (or their partner) was the holder of, or sponsored someone else for, a Remaining Relative visa (subclass 835 or subclass 115), Preferential Family visa (subclass 104) or Family visa (subclass 806).
Applicants may also needed to meet below requirements
Character requirements, Health requirements, Health insurance requirements, Must not have Debts to the Australian Government, biometric and other requirements if needed.
You and your family must comply with all visa conditions and Australian laws.
Source – Australian Immigration Website.