Australian Electronic Travel Authority (subclass 601)
Who could get this visa?
You might be able to get this ETA:
- If you are travelling to Australia as a tourist or for business visitor purposes
- If you hold an eligible passport.
Reason for stay
You can apply if you are travelling to Australia as a tourist or for business purposes.
Tourist activities include holidays, recreation or seeing family and friends.
Business visitor activities include:
- Making general business or employment enquiries
- Investigating, negotiating, signing or reviewing a business contract
- Activities carried out as part of an official government-to-government visit
- Participating in conferences, trade fairs or seminars, as long as you are not being paid by the organisers for your participation.
List of Eligible passports
To apply, you must hold a passport issued by one of the countries or regions listed below.
NOTE: If you hold a non-citizen passport or other travel document, such as a Certificate of Identity, you are not eligible to apply for an ETA.
Eligible passports are issued by:
- Hong Kong (SAR of China)
- Republic of San Marino
- South Korea
- The Netherlands
- United Kingdom—British Citizen
- United Kingdom—British National (Overseas)
- United States
- Vatican City.
NOTE: must not purport to be an official or diplomatic passport
Applicants are responsible for all their health costs while they are in Australia. They will not be covered by Australia’s national health scheme (Medicare) unless their country has a reciprocal health care agreement with Australia.
It is highly recommend that you take out health insurance each time you travel to Australia.
If you have had any criminal convictions in any country, you should not apply for this visa. If you arrive on an ETA with criminal convictions, you could be refused entry to Australia.
Debts to the Australian Government
Applicants must have no outstanding debts to the Australian Government or have arranged to repay any outstanding debts to the Australian Government before this visa can be granted.
Including family in your application
Each family member travelling with you to Australia will need a separate ETA. This includes any children younger than 18 years of age who are included on your passport.
Total Duration of the visa
Your ETA is valid for 12 months. You can enter and stay in Australia for up to three months at a time.