Toll Free : 1800 599 0007


Contributory Aged Parent (Temporary) visa (subclass 884)

About this Visa

This visa lets parents of a settled Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen live in Australia temporarily.

If you are granted this visa and want to stay in Australia permanently, you can then apply for a Contributory Aged Parent visa (subclass 864).

Applying for this temporary subclass 884 visa before the permanent subclass 864 visa lets you spread the costs of your migration over a number of years.

What you can do

This visa lets you:

  • Live in Australia for up to two years
  • Work and study in Australia (you will not receive government support)
  • Enrol in Medicare, Australia’s scheme for health-related care and expenses
  • Travel to and from Australia as many times as you want for two years from the date the visa is granted.
  • Apply for a permanent Contributory Aged Parent visa (subclass 864).

You cannot extend or re-apply for this visa.


Your child in Australia

You must have a child who is a settled Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen.


You must be sponsored. Usually, this will be your child who must be:

  • 18 years old or older
  • A settled Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen.

If your child is under 18.

A sponsor can sponsor more than one parent for this visa.

Sponsors have financial and other responsibilities.​


You must be old enough for the age pension in Australia.

Balance-of-family test

You must meet the balance-of-family test. Either:

  • At least half of your children live permanently in Australia
  • More of your children live permanently in Australia than in any other country.

Applicants may also needed to meet below requirements

Character requirements, Health requirements, Health insurance requirements, Must not have Debts to the Australian Government, biometric and other requirements if needed.

Your obligations

You and your family must comply with all visa conditions and Australian laws.

Source – Australian Immigration Website.


Contact Us

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Not readable? Change text. captcha txt