Carer visa (subclass 836)
About this visa
This visa is for someone in Australia who needs one of the following:
- To care for a relative in Australia with a long-term or permanent medical condition
- To assist a relative providing this care to a member of their family unit with a long-term or permanent medical condition.
A Carer visa (subclass 836) is a permanent visa for people who want to live in Australia to provide substantial and continuing care or assistance for a relative who either:
- Has a long-term medical condition that means they cannot look after themselves in practical aspects of daily life, or
- Needs permanent or long-term practical support to help them care for a member of their family in their household with such a medical condition.
The relative must not be able to reasonably obtain the care they need from any other relative or from welfare, hospital, nursing or community services in Australia.
What this visa lets you do
It lets you and any family members who have been granted this visa:
- Stay in Australia indefinitely as an Australian permanent resident
- Apply for Australian citizenship (if you are eligible)
- Travel to and from Australia as a permanent resident for five years from the date the visa is granted – after that time you will need to apply for another visa if you want to return to Australia.
Who could get this visa
You might be eligible for this visa if:
- you need to stay in Australia to:
- Care for a relative in Australia with a long-term medical condition, or
- Assist a relative in providing this care to a member of their family unit living in their household.
- Your relative (or their family member) has their medical condition assessed by Bupa Medical Visa Services as being one which significantly affects them in attending to the practical aspects of daily life and which will need direct care for at least two years
- Your relative cannot reasonably get the care they need from any other relative in Australia or from welfare, hospital or nursing community services in Australia
- You are willing and able to provide substantial and continuing assistance. You should fully understand what kind of care or assistance your relative needs
- Your relative or their partner can sponsor you
- You and members of your family unit meet health and character requirements.
Applicants may also needed to meet below requirements
Character requirements, Health requirements, Health insurance requirements, Must not have Debts to the Australian Government, biometric and other requirements if needed.
You and your family must comply with all visa conditions and Australian laws.
Source – Australian Immigration Website.